Thursday, June 21, 2012

California " Urban Art "

We went to an art gallery called the....


         We went to an art show in Albany Bulb State park in S.F.
I am a artsy fartsy type person so our sons set a day aside to visit this unusual, but emotional place. It is considered an open-air "Gallery". The park itself is an artificial peninsula created from years of dumping construction debris. We were told that debris was there from the earth quake in 1989, or as many had referred it to the World Series Earth Quake. So we believe that the Oakland Bay Bridge was beneath our feet that day.  Very heavy and sad thought as we hiked the area.






We were standing at the top of the hill and below us was this lovely creature. I called it HER, others called it a different name ....But to me it was a her, a women reaching out to the world. What does she want? What are her needs? Is she asking for help, food, comfort?
All the above?


She was made of all types of mix media. Metal scrap, wood, rebar, twisted and piled around HER.
We believe they were found things from the park or the surrounding water that wash a shore.


I became so sad taking pictures of her. My heart felt heavy as I snapped away. My family continued looking at other sculptures, but I could not bare to leave HER just yet.
Of course tons of thoughts went through my head who-what-why would someone make this? And what does it mean?
It was raw talent.


She haunts me to this day.
She even has become my screen saver.


I must share with you another tid bit about the park.
It is a homeless haven. It has garbage, waste, tents, make shift homes made of everything and anything for shelter. People down on their luck.
I will not lie It was a tad intimidating. However we were not bothered by the homeless, other friends of ours had been in the past.

So go knowing that it exists and that it is a sad yet  a wonderful place to see. Yes it was hard seeing these people, whom are someones child, brother, sister, grandparent etc.
 You get the picture.

If you go, go with an open mind, an heart. Take in the beauty of the Urban art, the views of S.F. and surrounding area. 
 I hope you can take something away from it the way I did.
 It has a urban wilderness feel to it and I enjoyed it.
I will share more pictures from the bulb in future posts.
I started with HER since she bewitched me.

Gotta Run Hun's

Cheers,
Have a great Day
Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment